Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love them longer.


Here are some links to helpful posts I have done in the past :)

Learn about car seat safety HERE!

Need breastfeeding advice? Click HERE for lots of helpful tips!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The sacrifices we make..

So the other day I mentioned that I wouldn't be able to claim my Pell grant because of my schools mistakes.. well long story short, the biggest mistake they made was that they didn't correctly inform me on what the requirements were for getting Pell for the summer. I was told on several occasions that there was no way I could receive Pell for the summer, then after I started my classes I found out that this was incorrect. In actuality a person could receive Pell for the summer if they had 6 or more credit hours. I only had 4 because I never knew anything about the 6. So basically I was awarded Pell, but couldn't claim it unless I had 6 or more hours..

So here's where the sacrifice part comes in.. I've talked about how starting in June I will be at school from 12-7 on Tues. and Thurs.. well now I picked up another c-session class (the type of class that crams a semesters worth of stuff into one month). I am going to be at school from 8 - 10:30 am on Mon. and Wedn. and then on Tues. and Thurs. (starting June 16th) I am going to be at school from 8 am - 7 pm :( This will give me 7 credit hours instead of 4, which means that when I start these classes in June I will be able to claim my Pell grant.

This has it's pros and cons..

Pros:
  • Obviously getting to get my Pell grant, which really need with for my car, stuff for Brentley, Brentley's baby shower, Grace's birthday, and Christmas (and trust me I will make it last that long).
  • I get anoth class over with, so now I will only have to take 2 classes when I go back in the Spring, which hopefully means I will only have to go two days a week in the Spring too.
  • I am going to have a 2 hour break in between each of my classes on Tues. and Thurs. so I can use that time to work on my assignments.
  • Having to go four days a week for this one month is better than having to go four days a week for the entire Spring semester (almost 4 months). It saves lots of gas, and will probably make it easier for me to continue breastfeeding Brentley.
Cons:
  • I am now going to be taking two c-session classes, which are notoriously hard because of everything being crammed into one month.
  • The extra class I picked was the only class available that I am required to take. It actually wasn't even available, I had to go to the professor and tell her my story, and she was kind enough to overfill her class to let me in.. but this class is speech, which I am horrible at public speaking, and I mean HORRIBLE. I was trying to avoid taking speech with a jumbo belly because that is only going to make it worse for me.. I used to be fine at public speaking, but ever since I had to do a speech when I was pregnant with Grace I haven't been the same, and I can't control it :( I start studdering, breathing hard, turning red, shaking, stumbling over my words, etc. So I have a feeling I am not going to do very well in this class at all :(
  • I have to go four days a week starting in June, plus those 12 hour days (with driving) on Tues. and Thurs. but luckily it's only 10 days all together.
  • I'm going to be losing precious time with Grace.. luckily she will sleep through most of that 8 am class though, so I won't be missing much more time with her than I was going to already.
  • It's an 8 am class, and I am not a morning person at all.
But I know that this will be best for us in the long run. I just keep telling myself it's only 10 12 hour days, so I can do it. I just hope I don't completely bomb speech. The only reason I am doing this is so that my kids can have the best.

2 comments:

  1. That sucks, but at the same time at least it is only a few days. And you will have all of Fall semester off with them.
    I know how important that Pell is! Seriously.
    Ya. I gave one of my first speeches while I was pregnant with Samantha. It was an anti-abortion speech and everybody stared at me like, "Of course she is against abortion. She's pregnant and she's only 15."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like we can make it month to month just fine, but when it comes to extras like a baby shower, birthday party, or Christmas, that's where it gets tight, so this Pell money is going to come in handy! I'm actually glad I'm getting it in the middle of June because that means there's less opportunities for me to be tempted to spend it lol.

    I gave an anti-abortion speech in 10th grade.. I don't think anyone remembered it by the time I got pregnant though. What most people remembered was that Haley Reece always called me "fertile mertile" after we watched Juno in Mrs. Jackson's class that time. Everyone always brought that up after I got pregnant lol.

    ReplyDelete