Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love them longer.


Here are some links to helpful posts I have done in the past :)

Learn about car seat safety HERE!

Need breastfeeding advice? Click HERE for lots of helpful tips!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Monday, June 21, 2010

To Jessika regarding breastfeeding..

Hey I've tried to comment your posts, but it won't let me.. not sure why.

Honestly, my experience with breast feeding was absolutely awful. At first it was okay.. it felt good to think that I was "doing the best for her" but it hurt.. Everyone told me that it would quit hurting after about two weeks, but it definitely didn't. It only got worse and worse. At first there was just pain, then bleeding, and then it got to the point where one of my nipples was coming off.. no joke, and extremely painful. At the mere thought of Grace wanting to eat I would cry because I knew it was going to hurt, and then when she actually did eat I would cry the whole time, and hope she would be done soon. I don't care what they say.. that is no way to "bond." I am not saying your experience would be this way, but I'm just letting you know that it can happen. Eventually I got a pump and that gave me some relief, but you have to be absolutely dedicated to that thing. You have to pump like every two hours our you will get really swollen and hard, and leak.. I did not have the time to do that between school, and a new born.
As far as the immunity thing goes I don't believe it one bit. Grace was completely breast fed for the first month and a half of her life and she got RSV once while she was still being breast fed, again right after we stopped breast feeding, a cold after that, a viral infection, and now an upper respiratory infection, and she has never even set foot in a day care.
I am in no way saying you shouldn't try it. If you can pull it off, then go for it, but I know that it was an amazingly long hard battle for me, and when I could no longer do it I felt that I had failed her miserably. I have come to terms with my decision now because I do realize that that was no way for us to bond, and she is a happy, strong, smart, relatively healthy little girl. So if you don't want to try it I will completely understand that as well.

Also, I tried using Lansinoh for relief, which according to the box, in a clinical study not one single person had an allergic reaction. Apparently I am the worlds most unlucky person because I used it, and a few hours later I was itching terribly. I went in my room and took my shirt of and there were welts and everything was red and blotchy, and I itched until the next day. It was awful..
I honestly tried everything to make it work, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be for us.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. Sometimes I start to feel bad for not breastfeeding them but I dont know if that is just mommy guilt. I dont think I could pump every 2 hours between 2 toddlers and a newborn not to mention college. Thank you for helping me in my decision. I had no idea I had to pump that often or how sore it could be. I heard that it may hurt at first or that they may even start to bleed but I didn't know that it could be that bad. Plus I have what doctor's call innie nipples ( sorry if thats to much) almost like a innie belly button. Pretty much they dont stick out that far and I'm pretty sure it would be extremely painful and the baby would just get frustrated. But Thank You so much for the help. O and about the not being able to leave comments, Brittany has said the same thing. I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete