Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love them longer.


Here are some links to helpful posts I have done in the past :)

Learn about car seat safety HERE!

Need breastfeeding advice? Click HERE for lots of helpful tips!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Friday, November 11, 2011

I feel like I should have done more and don't know what to do now...

. My mom and I were doing some more Christmas shopping today. We were at Wal-Mart. We got done around 10:30pm, and we were putting our bags in my trunk when I heard someone softly say, "help me." I turned around to look, and there was a little girl sitting on the front of a shopping cart. You know how kids stand on them? Well, she was sitting on that part with her legs up under the basket and was hanging onto the basket. A man was pushing her. When I looked she said it again, but didn't appear scared, and he certainly wasn't holding her there or anything, so I just brushed it off as a little girl joking around.

We put the rest of our bags in, my mom got in the car, and I went to put the cart in the cart stall. The closest one was towards the back of the parking lot where basically no one was parked. When I was putting the cart in I heard something, and I realized it was that little girl. She had said, "help me" again. I looked, and there she was, still sitting on the front of the shopping cart all BY HERSELF. I asked her if she was okay, and she shook her head yes. Then a car pulled up behind me, and that man got out, and started walking towards her.

I'm conflicted because the little girl didn't scream, run off, tell me she was in trouble when I asked, etc. But she did say "help me" three times, and she was left alone, in the cold, at almost 11pm. I would never leave my daughter like that. I just feel like she might have been in trouble, and feel like I should have done something more to make sure she was.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Is there anything I should or could do??

***Update***
I called the police department, and they sent out an officer to take my statement. He said that if anyone fitting her description is reported missing they will need to talk to me again (which I am completely fine with). I hope, for the sake of this little girl, that I was wasting the officer's time. I have never been in a situation like this before (and hopefully never will again!!), so I didn't know how to react. Oh please God, don't let that little girl be in any trouble! I feel terrible :(

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so sad. Hopefully she is okay, and if she isn't, maybe they will be able to do something about it. Did you get the tag number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No :( The car pulled in forward, so I couldn't see it. That's one of the things the officer asked me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, looking back on it, I feel like I should have waited and gotten a tag number, but I pretty much panicked. The guy was like 6' and about 200 lbs, and there was no one in that part of the parking lot. I was afraid to confront him because I was afraid he would either make me his next victim or freak out at the fact that I would accuse him of that. I started thinking about getting away from him because my kids need me, and now I feel completely selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it was scary. Don't beat yourself up about it. Maybe she was just playing.

    ReplyDelete