Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love them longer.


Here are some links to helpful posts I have done in the past :)

Learn about car seat safety HERE!

Need breastfeeding advice? Click HERE for lots of helpful tips!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Breastfeeding: Finding support

Tip: find support.

Breastfeeding is not always an easy thing to master at first. In fact, it is typically quite difficult in the beginning. One thing that will be greatly beneficial is to find support from someone who has been there. Someone who has successfully breastfed.

If anyone you know... your mom, grandma, mother-in-law, aunt, cousin, close friend, etc., successfully breastfed, have that person's number on speed-dial. Their experience will undoubtedly have differences in their experience from what you will have, but they can still lend advice and encouragement.

It is also good to fine a place where you can go ask any question you have because your breastfeeding confidant may not have all the answers.

My two favorite places to turn to when I have questions are these...

https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulBreastfeeding
http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

I'm sure that there are many out there, but these are the two that I have found particularly helpful, and the women are always kind.

Your local health department will also typically have a lactation consultant that you can talk to, or they can get you in contact with one. Unfortunately, the one at my local health department was about as helpful as a brick wall when I was having troubles feeding Grace. Again, you know your body better than anyone else, so if you feel that something is wrong, exhaust all your options. Don't just give up like I did.

Also, try to get your husband/boyfriend on board. With Grace, Chris didn't really care one way or the other. He wasn't un-supportive, but he wasn't really supportive either. I wasn't prepared for the issues I had, and he wasn't there to give me the push I needed to continue. When I was pregnant with Brentley, I made everything clear to him. How driven I was to succeed, that I needed his support, how beneficial it would be to Brentley... basically how important it was all around. He has been much more supportive this time, and I have found it is definitely a factor in my success with breastfeeding. I needed my partner's support for sure.

No matter where you find support, support is vital. You will most certainly face criticism for your choice to breastfeed (this is an unfortunate fact of the country we live in). Ignore those uninformed people, and lean on your support whether that be someone close to you, a lactation consultant, or even an internet group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment