Being a young mom means we met a little early, but I get to love them longer.


Here are some links to helpful posts I have done in the past :)

Learn about car seat safety HERE!

Need breastfeeding advice? Click HERE for lots of helpful tips!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Friday, January 29, 2010

Media response


Lately there have been many things on television trashing teen pregnancy and parenthood, such as the LifeTime movie "The Pregnancy Pact," "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," "Channel One," and even MTV's "Teen Mom" at times. All of these things try to portray teen motherhood as an awful thing that ruins both the mother and the babies life.
"The Pregnancy Pact" tried to make it look as if teen mothers were irresponsible in every way by drinking, smoking, and partying. That they did not love their babies after they were born because it was not as easy as they thought it would be, and that all guys leave the mothers. I have never smoke, drank, or partied in my life. I love my daughter more than life itself, and it really isn't much harder to take care of her than I anticipated. And lastly, the father of my baby has been here the whole time. He loves and takes care of her as much as I do.
"The Secret Life of the American Teenager" portrays teen moms as lazy and more focused on themselves then the baby. I can tell you that I am not one bit lazy. I take care of my baby, do my school work, clean everyday, and cook dinner for my entire family almost everyday. And I have only been out one time for myself since my daughter was born and that was to do a community service project with a friend for a school club. My daughter is the center of my world. She goes almost everywhere with me, and is always my first thought when I am asked to do something.
"Channel One" a news type thing that schools play in the mornings (mine does) did a story on teen pregnancy and motherhood stating that "it is an epidemic." I don't know about other people, but I don't like being accused of being a part of an epidemic. They also said that teen moms don't drop out of high school and live in poverty.. there are people who drop out of high school and live in poverty who have never even thought of having a baby. I am set to graduate in 3 months and I am going to and then I am going to go to college. I will not live in poverty.
And lastly, there is "Teen Mom." It is the best at portraying how things really are, but it still leaves a lot out. It mainly focuses on the trials and tribulations that the girls have, and if the problem is overcome they just move on to something else. They never really show that not everything turns out bad or is bad in the first place. They never show the love you baby brings to your life.
I guess you would have to be in my shoes to really see the truth, but do not believe everything you see and hear. Remember that most things in the media are not true or are edited in some way or another. I can tell you that none of that stuff applies to me. I also have 3 friends who have babies and have either already graduated or are fixing too, and one of them is 17 and in college already. I may be one of the one-third of girls who gets pregnant before the age of 20, but that I just a statistic. Before I had a baby I was just not one of the one-third of girls.. still a statistic.. but in reality I am a person. My own person, not a statistic, and I make my own future for my baby and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment